Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Motherhood

As I was preparing my young women's lesson this week part of a talk by Elder Hales (Our Duty to God: The Mission of Parents and Leaders, Ensign May 2010) really struck me because it has been something I have been struggling with as a mom. He said:
The greatest faith we have will be within our homes as we remain strong in the trials and tribulations of parenthood. To a small group of mothers, President Monson recently said, “Sometimes we are too quick to judge the effect of our successes and failures.” May I add, don’t look at today’s trials as eternal. Heavenly Father does His work in the long term. “There is much which lieth in futurity,” the Prophet Joseph Smith said. “Therefore, … let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed” (D&C 123:15, 17).  
I really liked this quote because I so often feel like I need to see the results of what I am teaching my kids, that if they don't change right away I must be failing as a parent. But I need to remember to have an eternal perspective. I need to do the best job I can, teach my children the gospel and the Lord will make up the rest. Even though I am not perfect and I do not do a perfect job with my kids, the Lord is perfect and he will make up the difference. 

No comments: